Saturday 30 November 2013

PVP Brawl @themonkeyman12 ‘s Mincemeat Mind

Hello internet people. I’ve decided to do another PVP fight with my buddy Dylan yet again! This time around, it’ll be one of his Mincemeat Mind aka a Portal 2 custom map.
Dylan spent a few hours making this, and I even beta-tested this map before he submitted it to be judged by the Gamedevia lord a few month back. He got perfect, so let’s see what a perfect map is made out of!

My method is analysis the game based on the rubric on blackboard, and then I’ll add my own requirement. What I’d like to see changed in a sequel.

All first paragraphs in each section were written before I played the level. This is so Dylan knows where I’m coming from and to let him fully understand my criticism.

Rubric:
Play Time

So creating these maps myself, I felt this was the hardest thing to get right and yet essentially the only thing you need to do. To achieve perfect in here, you need a first completer to achieve a run of 5-10 min. Though this would be my second time theoretically, I noticed some drastic changes from the beta.

I completed it in 10 minutes 31.6 seconds. However I can easily claim that to “Player skill” or the otherwise lack of it.  Though it is over 10 minutes, I’m going to assume the range is 5:00 – 10:59.

5/5 on time, but only just.


Puzzle Complexity

Now to judge the complexity of the puzzle I feel is up in the air a bit and has a little wiggle room. Some people consider first person mazes to be easy, others, not so much. However to get a perfect score via the rubric you require to use a variety of mechanics in a mentally stimulating and satisfying way.  From what I call the ball mechanic was very cool.

This map would have been a lot more complex if there weren’t any antlines from your buttons. Though I feel none of them could have been removed without just adding frustration-based complexity. I do enjoy how you had a tiny bit of everything, and it was more satisfying than it should have been with the ball rolling after completing a step.

5/5 on complexity. Did what was needed, and did it well.


Puzzle Solvability

This is more reliant on your opinion of complexity, where in reality the solvability and complexity go hand-in-hand. The puzzle doesn’t stimulate if I can’t yield a conclusion. Although unless you consider frustrating stimulation in a “satisfying” way

Although I felt that the step progression to get the ball from one end to the other was fairly easy, for the length you were aiming for (a five minute play time), I slipped up more than once, and I’d classify that as an achieved challenge-to-solve level. The only notable complex part for me was seeing the cube receptacle parallel to the upper-cube dispenser.

5/5. I was tempted to give this a 4.5, as half the level was fairly easy to solve. Then I realized he made his own tiny difficulty curve in this 10 min map, and that’s a feat on its own.


Use of Logic Gates

This is the easiest way to get marks for this, as by what the rubric means by “logic gates” is a use of single/multiple input to be changed to a different output.  To get perfect on this however requires multiple gates to be used and for them to complement the puzzle.

As I predicted; every step along the balls route required some form of logic gate. The final step required a semi-advance one. None were useless, which is good to see.

5/5. I don’t know what else I could have asked for.


My Rubric Additions:
Use of Portals

It’s to my understanding that portal levels require an assortment of, well, portals.  At least that’s my opinion. 0) no portals used, 1) there are two white walls, 2) portals are used once in the completion of the puzzle, 3) portals are used a few times in the completion of the puzzle, 4) portals are used a few times in the completion of the puzzle, player & cubes 5) portals are used frequently in the completion of the puzzle, player & cubes

3/5. There were two instances of portals being used in that entire puzzle

Aesthetic touches

Though this is at no means as important as all the others, it needs to be addressed.  Portal is a very gray game in general, however the way the level is laid out should be appealing to the eye to avoid unnecessary confusion. Out of 2: 0) confusing to look at 1) comprehendible, 2) layout is traversable and easily memorized.

1/2. The map’s layout is good, but needs more lighting to be perfect.


Final Thoughts
What I’d like to see in a Sequel

I feel the mechanic of using the ball through the tube is a very neat idea. A new map that consists of your ball coming back, however maybe allow you to interact with the ball, or have it dance around on Ariel Faith Plates. Definitely add more portals to your portal level. Though I understand a 5 min puzzle that involves all that was required and to actually have interesting portal-play is a bit excessive. It would be the only improvement to this map.

Total score 24/27 = 89%

Until next time,

Jordon

No comments:

Post a Comment